Eating a healthy balanced diet is an important part of maintaining good health and can help you feel your best.
It doesn't have to be difficult either. Some of the benefits of healthy eating are listed below:-
- Reduce risk of heart disease and high blood pressure
- Reduce chances of getting cancer
- Increased feeling of energy
- Might be ill less often
- Can promote weight loss
- Improved bowel health
- Approved appearance of skin, nails and hair
Here are some suggestions of how you can improve your eating habits:-
- Aim for 2,500 calories for men and 2,000 for women per day
- Aim for at least five portions of different types of fruit an vegetables per day
- Aim to eat at least two portions of fish per week, including at least one portion of oily fish
- Reduce intake of saturated fat, sugar and salt
- Starchy foods should make up around one third of the foods you eat
- Aim to drink about 1.6 to 2 litres of none alcoholic fluid per day to prevent dehydration - water and low fat milk are the healthier choices
For more information please read the document which can be accessed at the bottom of this page.
Local services to support you with healthy eating include:-
|[309kb]||February - Eat Well||Eat Well|
The documents in this section are in Adobe Acrobat format (pdf). You will need Acrobat Reader to view these files which can be downloaded from the Adobe website free of charge.