Toggle menu

Council Tax Billing

We understand that as the new annual Council Tax bills are issued, you may need to contact us. To make this easier we have temporarily extended our normal operating hours for our Council Tax telephone lines until 7pm from Monday, 20 March to Thursday, 30 March **Monday - Friday only**

Local Land Charges

Information and guidance about local authority searches and personal searches

What are local land charges?

A local authority search is normally required in connection with the sale, purchase and/or re-mortgaging of any land or property to make sure the purchaser is aware of any charges or responsibilities it may have.

The word "charge" means any outstanding financial claims, restrictions, decisions or information which may affect a particular property or parcel of land.  These include charges for such services as new roads, road improvements, tree preservation orders, conditions imposed on planning permissions, conservation areas, legal agreements and listed buildings.

The local land charges section carries out all official searches covered by the Local Land Charges Act 1975, guaranteeing comprehensive replies to the official LLC1 and CON29 enquiries.

Why choose an official local authority search?

There are two different types of products available:-

  1. The official local authority search; or
  2. A search via a personal search company.

There are a large number of companies which offer a local authority search service as well as the local authority.  However, all searches have one thing in common - information must be obtained from the local council.

Always remember, you have a choice.  You do not have to accept a personal search just because it is the norm for the solicitor or conveyancer.  You are entitled to insist on a full official local authority search undertaken by Boston Borough Council.

With such a choice of suppliers of property searches why choose Boston Borough Council to produce a local land charges search?

Hopefully, the points below will help you decide:-

  • High quality finished searches produced by experienced and trained staff;
  • Competitively priced - please refer to the related documents below for the latest fees;
  • The definitive source of information;
  • As a local authority, we are the only body empowered by legislation to sign an official search of the register.

Our commitment to you

We are at Level 2 of the National Land Information Service (NLIS) and able to accept searches via this system.  We can also accept searches through the TM Searches Portal.

Search requests can be submitted by email to the local land charges team or by post to the Land Charges Team, Municipal Buildings, West Street, Boston, PE21 8QR.  Along with the relevant completed search forms, a plan with the property to be searched outlined in red is also required.  Once the forms and plan has been checked we will then contact you for payment. For queries, telephone 01205 314242.

How much does it cost?

Local land charge costs
ItemFee (no VAT) £Total Fee (with VAT) £Details
Statutory LLC1 - Fixed by statute up to 06-07. Deregulated 07-08 (Manual)21.0021.00Non business - no VAT charge
NLIS Statutory LLC1 - Fixed by statute up to 06-07. Deregulated 07-08 (Electronic)21.0021.00Non business - no VAT charge
LLC1 Additional Parcels of Land1.001.00Non business - no VAT charge
Cancellation of LLC110.0010.00Non business - no VAT charge
CON 29 Search Fee (Manual)92.62111.14Standard rate
CON 29 Search Fee (Electronic)92.62111.14Standard rate
CON 29 Search Fee - Part O Optional Enquiry 417.0920.51Standard rate
CON 29 Search Fee - Part O Optional Enquiry 86.597.91Standard rate
CON 29 Search Fee - Part O Optional Enquiry 2117.0320.44Standard rate
CON 29 Search Fee - Part O Optional Enquiry 2218.5722.28Standard rate
CON 29 Search Fee - Part O Optional Enquiry (all except 4, 8, 21 & 22)12.0014.40Standard rate
CON 29 Search Fee - (manual & electronic) Additional Parcels of Land17.0020.40Standard rate
Additional Enquiries18.0021.60Standard rate
Cancellation of CON 2930.0036.00Standard rate
Informal Searches26.0031.20Standard rate


How do I know if a property is within the Boston Borough Council district?

The Boston Borough Council area consists of:-

Algarkirk, Amber Hill, Benington, Bicker, Boston, Brothertoft, Butterwick, Fishtoft, Fosdyke, Frampton, Freiston, Holland Fen, Kirton, Leverton, Old Leake, Sutterton, Swineshead, Wigtoft, Wrangle, Wyberton.

Drainage enquiries

Boston Borough Council is unable to answer drainage enquiries.  You should therefore contact the sewerage undertaker for the Boston borough area which is Anglian Water Services.  Contact Geodesys Limited via their website (in links) or telephone 0800 085 8050.

Personal Searches

Information and guidance about personal searches and unrefined CON29 enquiries

Local Land Charges Account

Boston Borough Council must publish information about the cost of providing local land charges services as well as the income received (required by The Local Authorities (England) (Charges for Property Services) Regulations 2008.