Toggle menu

Housing Benefit

What is housing benefit?

Housing benefit is a government scheme providing financial support to help you pay your rent. You can claim housing benefit if you pay rent to a housing association or a private landlord. Housing benefit is assessed using your household, personal circumstances and your income. It also takes into account any other adults in your household who are expected in some circumstances to contribute to these costs.

If you want to make a new claim in relation to your rent you will need to apply for Universal Credit as you can no longer claim for Housing Benefit, unless any of the following circumstances apply:

  • you have reached State Pension age
  • you live in temporary accommodation
  • you live in sheltered or supported housing with special facilities such as alarms or wardens

You must not have capital above 16,000 in order to claim housing benefit.