Toggle menu


We are now on the winter break of the garden waste season for 2023/24, collections will start again from w/c 19 February 2024

Paying your Council Tax

You can pay your Council Tax online, over the phone, by Direct Debit or in person at any Post Office or PayPoint station.

Over the Internet

You can pay your bill by debit card using our secure Pay Online facility - link below in Useful Pages

Direct Debit

Direct Debit is simple, convenient and a secure way to pay.  Simply complete the Direct Debit form (PDF) [793KB] (opens new window) and returning it to us by email or post. 
Alternatively, if you are the bank account holder, call us on 01205 314200. You will need your Council Tax account reference number when you call.

Standing Order or Online Banking

To pay by Standing Order or Online Banking, contact your bank. They will need to know the amounts to be paid, dates due and your Council Tax account number - these are all on your bill.  This will make sure your payment credits your Council Tax Account. Please do not add any extra characters or digits as this may prevent us from allocating your payment correctly. They will also need our bank details, which are:

Sort Code: 40-12-30
Bank Account Number: 41644750 


Pay by cash, free of charge at any PayPoint station. Simply hand your bill to the cashier with your payment.  The bill will be returned to you with a receipt for your payment.  Allow five working days for your payment to reach us.

When you must pay

Payment of council tax is due in statutory instalments and must be paid on or before the due date. You will receive a letter each year detailing the amounts you must pay and the dates they are due. Options are available which allow you to pay by weekly, fortnightly or 4 weekly instalments. Also you can choose to pay over 12 months instead of the statutory 10. Please contact us for further information.

What to do if you think your bill is wrong

If you wish to query your council tax bill or ask for advice about your council tax charge, please contact our Revenues and Benefits staff.

There are appeal rights if you consider you are not liable to pay council tax. For example:

  • Because you are not the resident or owner
  • The property should be exempt
  • You think a mistake has been made in calculating your bill.

If you are unhappy with the way you have been charged or do not feel you have received a satisfactory answer to a previous enquiry, you should write to us with all the relevant details, so we have the opportunity to reconsider the case. You will receive a written response, giving you the decision made and the reasons for that decision. If you are still unhappy, you can ask for your case to be referred to the council tax ombudsman.


If you leave the area to move elsewhere during the financial year, we will close your council tax account with us on the day you move. As council tax is a daily charge this action could result in a credit balance on your account.

If we hold bank details for you any monies due to you will be returned by BACS, if not then a cheque will be issued usually within 10 days of your account being closed. You should contact us to provide accurate details of your move and a forwarding address.