Toggle menu

Cost of Living

With significant rise in the cost of living we know that some households will be struggling financially, emotionally or because they need practical advice and help. Here is some key information on what support is available and how to access it. As new schemes, advice and support becomes available this page will be kept updated.

Paying your Council Tax

The council will send you a council tax bill at the beginning of each financial year (usually mid March) to notify you of the amount you need to pay on a monthly basis.

Payments are due on the first of each month over the first 10 months starting 1st April. You will therefore normally pay between April and the following January each year.

Payment methods

Direct Debit

Direct debit is simple, convenient and a secure way to pay.  We offer a choice of dates throughout the month. Set up your Direct Debit by completing a Direct Debit form and returning it to us by email or post.  Alternatively, if you are the bank account holder, call us on 01205 314202. You will need your Council Tax account reference number when you call.

Online Payment

You can pay by debit card online on our payments page which you can find at the bottom of this page under links

Internet Banking

You can pay by internet banking, Standing Order or Bank Giro Credit. To do this, you will need to quote our sort code: 40-12-30 and bank account number: 41644750. The reference you need when setting this up is your Council Tax account number. This is the number in the top right of your bill and starts with a '2'. This will make sure your payment credits your Council Tax Account. Please do not add any extra characters or digits as this may prevent us from allocating your payment correctly.


You can send a cheque payable to Boston Borough Council quoting your account reference number on the back to; Boston Borough Council, Municipal Buildings, West Street, Boston, Lincs, PE21 8QR.


You can pay using the barcode on the top of your council tax bill or arrangement letter at any retail outlets displaying the 'PayPoint' sign in the Boston area or any UK Post Office. To find your local Payzone shop please visit the Payzone website.

When you must pay

Payment of council tax is due in statutory instalments and must be paid on or before the due date. You will receive a letter each year detailing the amounts you must pay and the dates they are due. Options are available which allow you to pay by weekly, fortnightly or 4 weekly instalments. Also you can choose to pay over 12 months instead of the statutory 10. Please contact us for further information.

What to do if you think your bill is wrong

If you wish to query your council tax bill or ask for advice about your council tax charge, please contact our Revenues and Benefits staff.

There are appeal rights if you consider you are not liable to pay council tax. For example:

  • Because you are not the resident or owner
  • The property should be exempt
  • You think a mistake has been made in calculating your bill.

If you are unhappy with the way you have been charged or do not feel you have received a satisfactory answer to a previous enquiry, you should write to us with all the relevant details, so we have the opportunity to reconsider the case. You will receive a written response, giving you the decision made and the reasons for that decision. If you are still unhappy, you can ask for your case to be referred to the council tax ombudsman.


If you leave the area to move elsewhere during the financial year, we will close your council tax account with us on the day you move. As council tax is a daily charge this action could result in a credit balance on your account.

If we hold bank details for you any monies due to you will be returned by BACS, if not then a cheque will be issued usually within 10 days of your account being closed. You should contact us to provide accurate details of your move and a forwarding address.