Household Waste Recycling Centre
In 2021 Boston Borough Council introduced a fun and environmentally-friendly way to share household items that you no longer need by working with our residents and community groups to make it easier to recycle and reduce the amount of waste we produce and to try and encourage both the fixing and refurbishing of items which otherwise may have been thrown away.
The first Sunday of each month (weather-dependent) residents are offered the opportunity to put out household items (please do not present electrical items for reuse) on the frontage of their property from 8am until 8pm (time may change monthly according to seasonal changes) for other residents, community groups, charity shops, charity groups, second-hand shops and scrap metal dealers to take free of charge.
With the climate emergency and the current rates of fly-tipping in the borough, it is really important that we find new ways to help people save our planet's resources and to mend, restore, reuse and repurpose.
Please see below a few rules around taking part in the event:
- Items permitted for Upcycle Sunday are hard and soft furniture, children's toys, bikes. Electrical items must not be presented.
- Any item presented as part of this scheme is considered waste, as you have given up ownership of the items for the purposes of others people taking your items to upcycle.
- As a householder, you have a legal duty to check that any waste taken away by a business, or trader, or broker or dealer is authorised to do so, including has a waste carriers licence. Items collected by members of the public, do not need a waste carriers licence and no checks are required.
- Items should only be presented within the boundary of your own property between 8am and 8pm. Items must not cause an obstruction to a footpath or any highway.
- All items must be brought back into the property by 8pm.
- We expect in certain conditions, some items may get wet or become soiled. If items are unwanted, the householder should take them to Household Waste Recycling Centre or you should book a bulky waste collection.
- Residents presenting items in this scheme do so entirely at their own risk.
Have fun everyone and please enjoy!