Toggle menu

Can I get a Council Tax Reduction?


In some circumstances a discount may apply.


There will be no charge if your property falls into one of these exemption classes.

Students & Apprentices

Certain students or apprentices are not counted when looking at the number of adults living in a property.

Disabled Relief

You may get a reduction if you or someone living with you is permanently and substantially disabled. The disabled person can be an adult or a child.

Severe Mental Impairment

Severe mental impairment is a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning which appears to be permanent.

Repossession & Bankruptcy

If a property has been left empty due to repossession or bankruptcy an exemption can be applied.

Occupier Deceased

When the occupier of a property dies, an exemption may apply from the date of death.

Receiving and Providing Care

If you have moved out of your home to either receive care, or to provide care, there may be a reduction in Council Tax due on your property.

Unfurnished properties

If your property is unoccupied and unfurnished, you might be entitled to a 100% discount for up to one month.

Long Term Empty Properties

A Long-Term Empty Dwelling Premium will apply if your property has been empty for two years or more.

Council Tax Discretionary Reduction

We can reduce your Council Tax in exceptional cases. We can only do this for circumstances covered in our policy.

Empty Property Owned by a Charity

If you are a registered charity that owns an unoccupied property, you may be exempt from Council Tax.