Toggle menu

Single Person Discount

If you live alone or are the only person over 18 years old in the property you can get a 25% discount.  To qualify the property must be your main home.

How to apply

If you feel you are eligible for Single Person Discount then please complete an Online Application or complete the  Single Person Discount Form (PDF) [1MB]  and return by email to or by post.

Change in Circumstances

If you qualify for a Council Tax discount you must tell us within 21 days if there is a change that might affect it. We can impose a £70 penalty if you do not tell us about a change. Keep us informed of changes on or by calling 01205 314200.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. My partner works away all week and only comes back home for holidays. Can I have a Single Person Discount?
A. No. A person's main home is regarded as 'where they would normally live were it not for their work commitments' even if most of their time is spent elsewhere.

Q. I have a holiday home and I am the sole owner. Can I have a Single Person Discount?
A. No. Single Person Discount can only be granted if someone over the age of 18 is occupying the property as their main home.