Toggle menu

Council Tax Billing

We understand that as the new annual Council Tax bills are issued, you may need to contact us. To make this easier we have temporarily extended our normal operating hours for our Council Tax telephone lines until 7pm from Monday, 20 March to Thursday, 30 March **Monday - Friday only**

Tree and Hedge Protection

Information about Tree Preservation Orders and High Hedges

Some trees are protected by tree preservation orders, or because they are growing within a conservation area, and you will need our consent before you can carry out most sorts of work to these trees.

We also have powers to intervene where a neighbour's high hedge is causing you problems.

This page provides more detail on these issues.

Tree Preservation Orders

What is a Tree Preservation Order?

We make tree preservation orders (TPOs) to protect trees which make a major and positive contribution to their surroundings.

Any type of tree can be subject to a TPO including hedgerow trees, but not hedges, bushes or shrubs.

It is an offence to cut down, top, lop, uproot, wilfully damage or destroy a tree that is protected by a TPO, without prior permission from the Council.

How do I find out if a tree is subject to a Tree Preservation Order?

Details of all tree preservation orders are held by the planning department.

Please contact us for specific details about tree preservation orders and enquiries. Email Planning.

How do I make an application to carry out works on a tree which is subject to a Tree Preservation Order?

If you need to make an application, you will need to complete the form available electronically from the Planning Portal in the Links section.

Trees in Conservation Areas

Are trees in conservation areas protected?

Where a tree is not protected by a tree preservation order but is within a conservation area, six weeks notice is required in writing if the owner wishes to carry out any works on the tree.  This gives us the opportunity to consider whether a tree preservation order should be made to protect the tree.

How do I give the council the required six weeks notice when wanting to carry out works to a tree in a conservation area?

If you need to make an application, you will need to complete the form available electronically from the Planning Portal in the Links section.

High Hedges

If you are troubled by a neighbour's hedge, the best way to deal with the issue is to talk to them about it.

The GOV.UK guidance 'Over the garden hedge' gives some advice on how to go about this, and can be viewed in the Links section. However, if you cannot agree a solution with your neighbour you can, as a last resort, involve us.

The GOV.UK guidance 'High hedges: complaining to the Council' tells you how to go about this.

If you decide that there is no other option than to ask us to resolve the problem, you will need to fill in a complaint form. You will need to pay us to consider your complaint, and the current fee is £500.00.

If you would like some advice on high hedges, please either telephone planning or e-mail planning.