Landlords Guide to Housing Standards
Landlords have a number of legal responsibilities for the standards of their rented properties.
Failure to adhere to these requirements may result in legal action. Below is a summary and further information can be found in Useful links and in the Private Sector Housing Policy Framework and other documents.
- Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards
- Gas Safety
- Electrical Safety Standards
- Fire Safety & Furnishings
- Legionella and Legionnaires Disease
- Houses in multiple occupation
The Council has a number of powers it can impose on a landlord for Housing related offences including:
- Serving of a notice
- Civil penalty
- Inclusion on the database of Rogue Landlords
- Rent repayment orders
- Banning orders
Further details of the powers available to the Council can be found in the Private Sector Housing Policy Framework which should be read in conjunction with the latest Housing Act Notice Charges document.