Mental Health and Dementia
Information and links relating to Mental Health and Dementia
It is becoming more widely known that 1 in 4 people will experience mental ill-health at some point in their lives. If you are concerned about your mental or emotional state, or you're worried about someone you know, there is help is available. In this section you will find an array of information, advice and services available to support you, along with being encouraged to talk to your GP about your concerns.
Dementia affects 1 in 14 people over the age of 65 meaning that 225,000 people will develop dementia this year, that's one every 3 minutes. In order to support others within the community there are 5 key things that everyone should know about dementia:
- Dementia is not a natural part of aging
- It is caused by diseases of the brain
- It's not just about memory loss
- It's possible to live well with dementia.
- There is more to the person than the dementia