Full details of the type of evidence that is acceptable is stated on the claim form.
You must provide:
- Your National Insurance number
- Proof that the number is yours
- Two original proofs of identity and
- Original proof of all your income and capital
If applicable you will also have to provide:
- Proof of rent
- Proof of earnings
Proof of rent
If you are the tenant of a registered social landlord (housing association) for example, Boston Mayflower, or rent from a private landlord you need to send us proof of how much rent you pay and what, if any, services are included. Services include things like heating, water rates and meals.
If you have a tenancy agreement, we will need to see it. If you do not have a tenancy agreement, you must contact us for a landlord enquiry form and then ask your landlord to complete the form telling us:
- His or her name and address
- Your name and address
- How much rent you pay
- What services are included in your rent
- How much you pay for these services
- What date your tenancy started
- What date you moved into your home.
Benefit cannot normally be paid for any time before you move into a new home. If you take on a tenancy but can't move in straight away, you should ring the housing benefit section for advice.
Proof of earnings
You must provide proof of the money you earn so we can work out your benefit.
If you work for an employer
Please send in the following:
- Your last five payslips if you are paid weekly
- Your last three payslips if you are paid fortnightly
- Your last two payslips if you are paid monthly
- Your payslips should show cumulative totals of Gross Pay, National Insurance Contributions and Income Tax paid.
We may wish to work out your earnings calculations on a more frequent period, dependant on your earnings and fluctuation patterns in your income, we may then request wage slips for further previous weeks/months.
If you cannot do this, please contact the benefits section to request an Earnings Certificate.
If you have more than one job you must send in proof of wages or an Earnings Certificate for each job you have.
If you have just started work, send the completed application form back straight away with a note saying when you will send in proof of earnings or request an Estimated Earnings Certificate.
If you are self-employed
Please see the Self Employed page.
If you pay money into a pension scheme
Please send us proof of the payments you make.
Proof of other benefits
If you are in receipt of any of the following benefits, please provide proof to support your claim:
- Universal Credit
- Income Support
- Employment Support Allowance
- Working Tax or Child Tax Credits
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
- Attendance Allowance
- Bereavement Allowance
- Carers Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance
- Personal Independence Payments
- Guardians Allowance
- Industrial Injures Benefit
- Industrial Widows Pension
- Jobseekers Allowance
- Incapacity Benefit
- Maternity Allowance
- State Pension
- Savings Credit
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- State Retirement Pension
- Statutory Adoption Pay
- Statutory Maternity Pay
- Statutory Paternity Pay
- Shared Parental Pay
- Widowed Parents Allowance
Proof of Capital
Please provide proof of any capital you may have:
- Two months bank statements for all bank and building society accounts
- Savings Accounts
- Premium Bonds
- Investment trusts
- Unit trusts
- Other assets