Toggle menu

Council Tax Change of Address

If you are moving home, you will need to let us know so that we can update your Council Tax account.

Moving house

If you tell us you have moved house part way through a year, or there has been a change of circumstances in your household affecting the level of your charge, you will receive a revised bill. This will show the instalments required to pay your adjusted charge over the remaining months available in that year.

Council tax is a daily charge, so if you move to a different property you will pay up to the day before the moving date at your old property and from the moving date onwards at the new one. This also applies to other changes such as any discounts or exemptions you apply for. It is therefore very important that you give us exact dates for any changes taking place.

If you own a property after the date you have vacated, you will still be liable for council tax payment until you sell the property. Similarly if your tenancy continues after you vacate a property you will still be liable until your tenancy ends.  It may be possible to get a discount or an exemption for this period of time.

New properties

If you own or purchase a new property (either as part of a new development or reconstructed to form different properties), for council tax purposes the council will serve on you a legal document called a completion notice.

This notice sets the date from which the new property will appear in the council tax valuation list and so will be due a council tax charge. From this date council tax will cease to be payable for any former property that stood on the site.

If the property remains empty, council tax is payable by the owner one months from the date shown on the completion notice.

Full council tax is immediately payable at any time the property becomes occupied.

Reporting other changes

If there are any other changes in your circumstances such as you start running a business from your home or someone moves in with you, then you must tell us at once.

If you receive a Council Tax reduction, then you must tell us within 21 days if there is a change that might affect it. We can impose a £70 penalty if you do not tell us about a change.