Toggle menu

Council Tax Change in Circumstances

You must tell us immediately if things change. We need to know if you move address, someone moves in with you or start running a business from home

If you receive a Council Tax reduction and there is a change that might affect it, you must tell us within 21 days. If you do not tell us about a change, we can impose a £70 penalty.

For any changes or personal circumstances not noted on this page, you can check if you are entitled to a Council Tax discount or exemption

Changes to who lives in your home

  • If someone in your home turns 18, or moves in with you, this may affect your reduction.
  • If you are now the only person over 18 living in your property, you will be entitled to a Single Person Discount.

To tell us about the changes, please email us on or call us on 01205 314200

If someone has moved into your house recently, they need to register to vote and put their name on the electoral register at their new address.

Moving home?

See our Council Tax Change of Address page

Home-based businesses

Depending on the type of property, usually either Council Tax or Business Rates will be payable, but both may be due for some properties. Where the business-use of the home is minor, generally Business Rates are not paid but will likely apply if you are using part of your home for one of the reasons below:

  • used exclusively for business purposes
  • has been adapted for business use
  • where clients visit the premises
  • where you employ people to work from there.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon