Toggle menu


We are now on the winter break of the garden waste season for 2023/24, collections will start again from w/c 19 February 2024

Cooling Towers

Poorly managed cooling towers can cause legionella hazards.

Licence summary

If you control non-domestic premises you must ensure that you notify the local authority, or in Scotland, the island or district council of any cooling tower or evaporative condenser (notifiable devices) on the premises.

Notification must be in writing (including by electronic means) on a form approved by the Health and Safety Executive.

You must notify the local authority or island or district council of any changes to the notification information within one month of the change, in writing.

If the device ceases to be a notifiable device you must notify the local authority or island or district council in writing as soon as possible.

Eligibility criteria

No provision in legislation

Regulation summary

The Regulations concerning Cooling Towers and Evaporative condensers are contained in The Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992 - see the 'links' section on this page.

As the first step in the control of Legionnaires Disease, these Regulations require the identification of Air cooling plant on Sites where the risk of contamination of air with the bacterial agent of disease may arise, and you should read this Legislation and report any such plant you have on-site to your Local Authority.

Guidance on Control Measures necessary may be found in L8, the Advisory Code of Practice - Legionnaires' disease: the control of legionella bacteria in water systems - see the 'links' section on this page.

Application evaluation process

No provision in legislation

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period

Apply Online

Visit the cooling tower notification website

Failed application redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, you can access free and impartial advice from the UK International Consumer Centre website.

Other redress

For example, about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade associations


For further information

Please telephone 01205 314248 or email the environmental health team