Toggle menu

Personal Licence

Information about personal licences and how to apply

Personal Licences

There is no longer a requirement to renew personal licences, they run indefinitely.

Under the Licensing Act 2003, any individual may apply for a personal licence whether or not they are currently employed or have business interests associated with the use of a premises licence.  

Applications for a personal licence must be made to the Local Authority in the area where they reside.

You can apply for a personal licence at any time providing you are 18 or over.

You must provide proof that you have the legal right to work in the UK in order to hold a Personal Licence.

Applicants will need to complete an application form and include the following:

  • The correct fee (currently £37);

  • Enclose a relevant licensing qualification (see below);

  • Enclose a basic Criminal Record check (see below);

  • Enclose two photographs (see below);

  • A fully completed Disclosure of Convictions and Civil Immigration Penalties &  Declaration form

Application forms and printed guidance are available.

Personal licence qualifications

Persons applying for a personal licence will need to obtain an accredited licensing qualification. 

The aim of the qualification is to ensure that licence holders are aware of licensing law and the wider social responsibilities attached to the sale of alcohol.

The current qualification is the Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders. 

The Secretary of State accredits personal licence qualification training providers under the 2003 Act.

For details see the Government's list of accredited personal licence qualification providers.

Contact the course providers direct for more information on the costs and local venues where they can be taken.

Criminal record check

You must submit a Criminal Record Check; issued no earlier than one calendar month before the date of the application to prove that you have not been convicted of any relevant offences.

In order to do this you should submit one of the following:

  • A criminal conviction certificate issued under s112 of the Police Act 1997 (a basic Disclosure) or

  • A criminal record certificate issued under s113A of the Police Act 1997 (a standard or enhanced DBS check) or;

  • The result of a subject access search under the Data Protection Act 1998 of the Police National Computer by the National Identification Service.

Right to work

From the 6th April 2017, applicants for personal licences must prove that they have the legal right to work in the UK, by providing clear, legible copies of official documents showing that they are either a British or UK citizen, a national of an EEA country or Switzerland, have been granted indefinite leave to remain and work in the UK, or have another immigration permission allowing them to lawfully work in a field relevant to the sale of alcohol. 

  • Official guidance notes on what documents are acceptable and which pages must be photocopied are included after the application form. Do not send original documents through the post, but rather send good quality photocopies of all relevant pages. 

  • We may request further documentation or carry out further checks, including checking with the Home Office if an applicant's immigration status is unclear. Personal licences cannot legally be granted to any person who does not have the right to work in the UK.

  • Licences will lapse automatically if your right to work in the UK expires or is revoked.

Privacy Notice

We are required by law to protect your privacy and inform you how your information may be used.

The Licensing team collect your personal information to process and manage your application for a Personal Licence.

Some of your information will be recorded on a publicly available register as required by relevant legislation.

The information provided by you may also be used for legitimate reasons by other departments of Boston Borough Council and other lawful agencies. These reasons may include but are not limited to: prevention of crime, detection of fraud and public safety.

In some cases information relating to your application may be requested under the Freedom of Information Act, this council will review these requests to consider if it is lawful to comply.

The Council takes your privacy seriously.  The Council is the Data Controller for the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulations 2018.

If you want to know more about the information we have about you, or the way we use your information please contact the Council.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon